Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Thrifting It

A raise of hands.......how many of you love thrifting??!??!  OK.........that was pointless........I can't see you anyway...duh!! Was I the only dork raising my hand?!?!  Well its true I just love walking into a thrift store not knowing what I will walk out with next.  Its a surprise each time and of course you do have your "Saweet" days and some "that was pointless" days!!
 I'm not going to lie.......you do have to look high and low for these treasures that are hidden amongst all the nasty dirt and years and years of collected dust.......but trust me you will find them!!  They are there but it takes some time, effort, and experience (it gets easier time after time sorting out whats "jackpot" and whats just plain ol' junk!) The funny thing is that the whole thrifting process is a whole new experience for me!! I've only been to a few over the past couple of years but I am officially hooked!!   One thing that I can live without though.............is that pungent thrift store smell and all the dirt that comes along with the process (I walk run out of there as fast as I can so that I can sanitize my hands and everything gets shoved into the dishwasher as soon as I get home...... like ASAP!!) So like that saying goes: "one (wo)mans junk is another (wo) mans treasure"!!

Here are the goodies i found on my most recent trip:


I love me some ceramic birds (well not necessarily ceramic......any kind will do!)!! They would look great on top of a stack of books maybe on a side table or book shelf!! The owl just did it for me though........I snatched him up sooo quickly that the lady next to me gave me this "girl you must be crazy" look!! HA!  I have plans for him though.........and no I'm not setting him free........he might get a paint job! (should I go classic white or turn him into something fun and bright like yellow.....hmmm??!)


As soon as I seen it I could not believe my eyes!! This thing looked sooo familiar......and it took me a minute to figure out where I have seen it before!! Than the light bulb turned on (bower power turned it on....hehe!)!! I know exactly where I've seen it.......my favorite blogger Katie Bower over at bowerpowerblog (HI Katie!.......you don't know who I am but you are famous to me!!! HA! BTW.....The Nate B show was awesome.......so jealous!!) has something similar if not the actual twin!! So of course I had to get it!!!  Anything Katie B loves........I love:


This next thing I just had with a capital HAD to have!! I passed it up at first but when it came time to check out........I just couldn't leave it there! I am so happy because its one of those nostalgic things.....you know!!  Here it is:


Its a doll crib! Its solid wood too!!
I haven't cleaned it out yet! I think its previous owner used it as a planter!



I plan to strip the red off and paint it a different color!! Maybe white, soft pink, soft green, or maybe a light turquoise color........not sure just yet!! Oh and I hope to sew a blanket and pillow to place inside! I know I don't have a any kids yet but maybe someday I will have a little girl who will enjoy playing with it! Oh and it was only $5 buckaroos........see why I love thrifting!!


I also scored this frame for $3 that I have plans for very soon! As soon as I complete it.....I will show all the details!


I also scored these items: A ceramic white pumpkin for the fall (I can hide yummy treats in it!), another owl that I plan to spray paint a different color, butterfly dish that I also plan on spray painting and use it to hold my jewelry and other trinkets, and some napkin holders (I got like 20 of them for $2!)!



So this was my last thrift store haul!!! I would love to hear all about your thrift store finds!! What were your recent "brag home about" finds??  Any of you dig owls and birds just like I do?? Or maybe you are nostalgic like me and love finding things that remind you of your past (my husband did raise a brow when I showed him that doll crib...haha!)??!??

Thrifting it,
xoxo Joanna D.

2 comments:

  1. You are too funny girl!
    Thanks for the shoutout and of course...I absolutely love the bird. Our little guys must be separated at birth :)
    xo - kb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! First time visitor here! I've never thrifted but I love the idea of it. I guess I just haven't because it takes time, and usually when I buy home decor type stuff it's just because I'm at Target anyway and happen to see something cute. I think when my husband and I buy our next house and it's time to decorate, I'll check out some thrift shops!

    Cheers,
    Rachel
    http://www.upperbottom.com

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...