Sunday, August 21, 2011

Off to the Market

A few weekends ago 2hotty and I headed off to Madison,WI to enjoy the farmers market that they have every Saturday during the summer.  It is located downtown State Street where local vendors set up stands encircling Wisconsin's capital!


Produce isn't the only thing that you'll find at the market. 
There is so much to see and take in while you walk along the streets such as artists who show off their artsy fartsy talents as you pass by.


An empty stage is later filled with quartet performers who help entertain the crowds and blast out jazzy tunes for all to hear.


One of my favorite things about State Street is walking around our state's amazing capital and snapping pictures at every angle. I've been inside once during a school trip and sat in on a court case......which was pretty cool now that I think about it.



Here I am with my bright blue "market" tote on my way to buy some fresh luscious goodies.



 

Not sure who this dude was............but I'm sure he was probably someone important. 
Was never really a fan of history but I just might have to Google it........you know so the next time we go I can impress 2hotty!!



 

The landscaping is just GORGE!!


and these flowers.........forgetaboutit!!!


One nice thing about coming here on a hot sweltering day is being able to sit under a big shady tree. You'll see families enjoying little picnic lunches,  people reading a book, and lovey dovey couples holding hands and sneaking in smooches.
 I'm such a "people watcher"......I could totally do it as a profession!!

Here are some of the local farmers selling their fresh luscious produce.



I couldn't wait to get to the tomato stand where they were selling heirlooms.  A few days later we ate them for dinner along with some mozzarella cheese and basil drizzled with olive oil.........so DELISH!!!



This just cracked me up......I couldn't help but snap a picture!
The signs says "Who dares to hold one of these?".  I couldn't help but have a mind of a dirty ol' trucker.........I even made myself blush!!


The flowers they were selling were out of this world!!
The next time we go I'm going to be more prepared and bring a bucket filled with water so I can haul them all the way home (we live about an hour away)!

Pretty sunflowers.


Bees hard at work.  Almost bought us some honey........almost!
There is always next time........I keep telling myself this!



Look the Red Hot Chili Peppers..................literally:

 

I knew I wanted to have lunch at The Old Fashioned restaurant located next to the capital but we were SOOO hungry when we got there that we decided to get a little appetizer at a food stand before hand. 
There were many to choose from but we opted for this one: 





2hotty was getting really annoyed by the big black camera in front of his face as well as the blazing HOT weather causing him to sweat his you know whats off and it didn't help that he was getting all hypoglycemic on me. I couldn't even get him to say "mmmmmpanadas":


There were many toppings to choose from.  We each got a different one and split them in half to share.  2hotty got beef and cheese and I got plantain and cheese (I'm writing this in so I don't forget the next time we go).  Ive never tried plantain before and I must say it was pretty good........sweet and savory all at the same time.  They served it with a cilantro cream sauce............it was to DIE for!!




After a quick bite we walked around some more "oohhing and aahhing" at all the goods and taking in the beautiful city.

If it wasn't so dang hot out I would have begged 2hotty to take me on a carriage ride around the capital.  How romantic would that have been??  Scotty if you are reading this: I would still like to redeem a carriage ride on a nice crisp fall day preferably at night time after a fabulous dinner out........you know just sayin!! haha!



An hour later we finally walked off our empanadas so that we could eat lunch at The Old Fashioned.  They are known for there awesome........you won't ever guess..............I'm telling you it's a toughie........... there Old Fashion's!!! Did I get ya?!?! haha.

So I just had to order one!! 


And here are some black and whites to make it feel more.....you know......Old Fashioned:


They were playin old movies on the flat screen......which was pretty neat.  Love me some "I Love Lucy"!


The bar was very masculine.......totally mancave worthy!!  The cabinets above the bar had small cubbies that held many different liquor bottles!!
2hotty take note to do this in our future homes bar!

Before leaving the market we passed by a dessert booth where I could just not pass up this almond scone:


I packed it away in my blue "market" tote and saved it for breakfast the next morning!!
So YUMMY dunked in my coffee!!!

I'm glad we got to experience the Farmers Market finally.  It couldn't of been more perfect (well maybe if it was just a bit cooler) and spending it with my 2hotty was just the icing on the cake!! My summer is almost feeling complete and that is bittersweet to me. 
I cant believe I'm sayin this but I think I'm ready for Fall (Ya'll)!!

I hope your enjoying the last bits of summer like we are!!

Ya'll come back now......ya hear!!

So tell me what is on your "To-Do" list before this summer comes to an end?  Anyone make it to a local Market this year?!?!  I defenately would like to do it more often!!! Have you found the time to spend a day out in one of your favorite cities?!?!  Madison is one of my Top 5's........it never fails to amaze me every time we go!!  Hope you are enjoying your weekend!

xoxo Joanna D.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...