Friday, May 13, 2011

Fiesta 50 = Success

YAY......my mommas 50th birthday fiesta was a hit (remember this post about my ideas for the party)!  I could not have asked for a more perfect weekend!  The weather was just wonderful and a total surprise because we were expecting RAIN all week! (Yes I was monitoring the weather and well the weather man was wrong…….Ha! What else is new? Glad he was though!)  All of my mom’s brothers and sisters were able to make it and so were her parents.  This was a bonus because the party just happened to be the day before Mother’s Day, allowing my grandma to celebrate with ALL of her children and their families! Awwww…..so sweet……I love a happy ending!  Anyways…… all I can say is…..Ay Caramba….. I am soooo beat from the extravaganza!! Phew…I’m still seeing everything in bright colors and picturing people wearing sombreros and mustaches!! Ha! So worth it though, my mom deserved nothing less, and well you only turn 50 once so why not make the most of it…..right?! Here is a picture of the Birthday Girl wearing her Mexican best:


Cute....huh?
First things first, the party was a surprise for my mom so we had to be very sneaky!  We threw the party at my parents’ house so nothing could be set up until after my mom had left for work the morning of.  Talk about needing perfect timing to get everything done! Well we did and we all had a mucho FUN time!!
The decorations were made by non-other than moi!  I stored everything in my closet, so by the end of the week it looked like a fiesta threw up in it....Ha! We had tissue paper pom-poms in all sorts of colors hanging from the ceiling:




And a banner (cut from a piece of fabric) hanging on the wall along with a "50" sign (made from colorful flashcards in the shape of a 5 and 0):


We bought some fun party favors for are guests to wear such as these press-on mustaches and lil sombreros:
(I just cut them out of the package and taped them onto straws so everyone could just grab one!)

 
(the sombreros came with a string to wrap around your chin (talk about uncomfortable) so I just cut them off, bought a pack of headbands, and hot glued them on (much better and more fashionable!).)
Everyone looked oh so cute with their sombreros and mustaches! Don't believe me.....see for yourself:



(I could just pee my pants looking at this picture!)
We even had an authentic sombrero at the party!
Me enjoying a much needed margarita!

  Scott trying to be Mr. Funny at the party!

The 3 amigo's!


We also had a fun prop but unfortunately we forgot all about it half way through the party! We were able to snap a few pics:





We set up all of the tables inside the house because we were expecting rain.  We were able to move out all of the couches and bring in a few tables, chairs, and benches.  I got some colorful disposable table cloths along with some striped table runners that I made out of fabric.  The centerpieces were just flowers thrown in some white vases and candles that I put in mason jars filled with marbles (everything I already owned)!  Then I spread out the sombreros between all of the tables as well as sodas and Jarritos (popular Mexican sodas) to make it look more colorful! Oh and my brother had left over jalapeno peppers so we spread those out all over the tables too (why not…..right?):





The food was prepared by some very talented senors and senoritas and I must say everything was soooo delicious!We had fresh authentic tamales, green and red salsa, southwest poppers, guacamole, cheese puffs, spicy pinwheels, spinach dip, chicken dip………..and this is only naming a few of the appetizers. For dinner we had tortilla soup to start, and then people helped themselves at the "build your own taco station” which included shrimp, beef and chicken with salad and black beans along the side.Oh my and I can’t forget about the dessert, which included birthday cake(s), Kahlua cake, pineapple upside-down cake, and cheesecake! (Wow I think I’m salivating at the mouth and I just ate dinner!)






Sorry we were soo excited about the dessert.......we didn't snap a Before pic! haha!

Oh and who could forget the drink station! I made an awesome (and strong) fruit sangria, mojitos, and we had the Margarator too (which broke down on us half way through the party………what can I say….it was working overtime)!







After a long day at work my mom came home to driveway full of cars and a kitchen full of drunk friends and family! Haha! It’s funny when you try to get a room full of people to shut up be quite but it only gets louder after all of the shhhing and shushing!! It’s OK though she was surprised and we even made her cry……awww! 



She was also very taken aback by her birthday gift that was given to her! She got a professional sewing machine:


 
There she is crying again!!

We not only celebrated my mom’s birthday that weekend but we also celebrated my father in laws, my dad’s, and my birthday (that’s a lot of singing)!




Even my nephew had a grand ol’ time at the fiesta!

He came in looking like this:

Doing a whole bunch of this:

And by the end of the night he was partying like this:
  
OK I did just pee myself……if that’s not the cutest thing you have ever seen……..I don’t know what is!
And I'll leave you with some more pics (just to be obnoxious and make this post mucho long!!):
Sista Sista

Just a doll......baby Veronika with Uncle Dan

Brother (notice his sweet belt buckle) with SIL

Me and my boyfriend

Grams with her pink sombrero!

Cousin B!

love with a capital LOVE these cheezy faces!!

And who could forget this lil guy......Gizmo!

So there you have it senors and senoritas……..that my friends is what I call a Fiesta! I’m glad we went the “fun and not too serious route” for this party because it made it easy to plan especially considering my brothers live three hours away!  I wonder what our next shindig will be……hopefully another themed party like this one!
Anyways, I would really like to carry on and on about how fabulous this party was but I really…… (Wait for it)……… (Wait for it)……..MUSTACHE! (Oh I just love my jokes….haha!)
 xoxo ~ Senor Joanna
Is anyone else planning a fun themed party this year?  How about those funny furry mustaches that we had at the party (Note to self: Need to throw a mustache bash……ASAP!) weren’t those cute?  Does anyone else dress up their own babies (or nephews/nieces/brothers/sisters/etc…) with funny props so that you can black mail them as they get older?  (I think that picture is making his wedding video someday! Ha!) I would love to hear all about it……leave it in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...