Thursday, May 19, 2011

Favorite main course recipe!!

So there are many different options to pick from when it comes to my favorite main course recipe but all I can think of is my mamma's Potato Pancakes! I'm not sure why?? We don't have them too often but when we do, they go like........well.........hotcakes (literally!)!  They are very yummy and easy to make (except for one step, which you will see when you read through the directions)! I was going to make this recipe this week and then take pictures step by step of how I make them, but I ran out of time. Sooooo.....I will show you with pictures borrowed from google images!! Mmkkkaayy!! Already then......lets get started!

Ingredients:
Servings: 4
6-8 Potatoes
1 Onion
   Flour
1  Egg
Vegeta (All purpose seasoning)
Salt
Pepper
Vegetable oil

Directions:
  • First peel all of the potatoes and then rinse them under water
  • Take the peel off of the onion

Peeling Potatoes

  • Grate the potatoes and onion using the really fine section on your grater (the section to the left of what is pictured below)

(Phew......the hard part is over!! This is the part where you might want a to tag team with someone......trust me your hand will cramp up on you!! This is why we don't make these too often......nobody wants to grate the stinkin' potatoes! Ha!)
  • Crack open egg and add it to the bowl with the grated potatoes & onion, then mix together.
  • Thicken the potato mixture with flour (you don't want it liquidity but also not too thick.....somewhere in the middle is perfect!)
  • Add salt and pepper to taste
  • Add vegeta (This part is optional if you cant get your hands on this seasoning.......my mom buys it at a polish grocery store) or other all purpose seasoning.  Or just add more salt and pepper!
  •  Get pan really hot and add the vegetable oil until well coated about 1/4 inch from bottom of pan (to see if oil is hot enough.....dip a wooden spoon in the oil and if you see bubbles the oil is ready!)
  • When oil is hot, add mixture to pan (using a ladle or measuring cup) and form pancakes (any size you would like)
  • Wait to flip pancake until crispy on the bottom
  • Continue to add more vegetable oil as needed after each pancake!
Voila your potato pancakes are ready to eat.......that is if you have any left! They are sooo yummy that they never really make it to the table! At our house my husband just grabs them and eats them as soon as I flip them out of the pan. Ha!  BUT, if you are able to get your family out of the kitchen and actually serve them at the table then you might want to grab some sour cream and/or apple sauce! Mmmm.....its the only way I will eat them!  I scoop a dollop of each on top of my pancake and mix them together.......I know it may look gross but it is not......I promise!! I hope you enjoyed this recipe and will make it for you family soon.......make sure you get some elves to help you grate......except children.....it will be too hard for them! Hey....who needs the gym when you have a grater and a bag full of potatoes to work out your biceps! Ha!

xoxo Joanna Childs
    Any of you make a potato pancake recipe (I would love to hear about how you make them!!)?Have any of you used vegata seasoning before (my mom uses it in everything such as soups and/or meatloaf)? Or how about making something that would substitute as working out at the gym....Ha! (I swear I should make this recipe every day to tone up these flabby arms of mine!) If you have any questions.....leave em' in the comments below! Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!
    Hello to those who are visiting from kellyskornerblog.com and welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...