Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Here's Your Sign!!

After moving in to our new digs I wanted to make/buy something special for my darling 2hotty......you know kinda like a housewarming gift for your spouse (I'm still waiting for mine BTW).  So like I always do.....I scoured the Internet for some ideas to get those brain juices of mine aflowing!!

The one space (besides the deck) in the house that 2hotty lurves is our basement!!  I know he's itching (not there....you sicko) to reclaim that space and make it into his man cave!! Although we both know that he won't be making any decorating decisions (atleast not on his own)!!  Yes I am SO that wife!!
Don't worry I'll still make room for the fifty-five inch, every piece of media equipment, his booze bottle collection, and all the sports memorabilia..............but it'll just look less like a frat house!!

So I found a cute.....I mean a MANLY....sign on Pinterest that I was itching (again not where your thinking...eew) to make!

It's actually a combination of two ideas I had pinned onto my "DIY" board.

I somewhat used this technique:

Pinned Image


to create a sign some what like this:

Pinned Image


First I collected all of my materials.
All you need is a canvas (sometimes you can find one at the thrift store for real cheap and just spray paint over the image or cover it with some fabric).........I had an extra one from the TRAVELING MAP I made over the summer.

I however don't own a Cricut (an awesome tool I think every crafter needs......but it is kinda spendy!!) so I dug around the house and whipped out every "letter" sticker I owned!  It was tough but I made it work!!

I then just taped off a border with painters tape and free handed all the wording onto the canvas!!
I really don't like to measure if I don't have to!!!
I sometimes like things to look imperfect (I guess it's just a good excuse if something comes out looking like complete crap. HA!)



I found that the stickers didn't do a good job well "sticking" onto the canvas, so I bought a spray-on adhesive and just followed the directions for non-permanent sticking!
Let me tell you this stuff worked like a charm (because If it didn't work there would be no sign and therefore no post of how to make said sign)!



Next I took it outside and sprayed it with a few coats of spraypaint (quite liberally)!  I chose navy........2hotty loves the color blue and it'll go with our color scheme!! Like I said I am pretty much making all of the decorating decisions in his (i just let him think its his)  mancave...... oh the nerve!!

 

Now its pretty straight forward from here on out.
Wait for the paint to dry (I let it dry over night) and then peel off the stickers! 
This was the fun part (much easier than the sticking on canvas part!!)!

You may see that the spraypaint leaked through the canvas........it gave it an airbrushed effect......which I kinda liked so I left it!!  Again it gives it that imperfect/rustic feel!


That being said......I don't like the way the bordered lines turned out with the blotchy paint........but it's nothing some white paint can't fix!!
I'll fix it some time before hanging it up on the wall (that is once we get the walls painted.........maybe this weekend......crossing my fingers!!)!

And here is the finished product:

and a side by side:

                       Inspiration:                                                                       Mine:
Pinned Image

So here's your sign........(well not your sign......you'll have to make your own).  Atleast here is some more inspiration to make your own sign..........so "get the gettin" and go ahead and make one for that special man in your life.
It's a great holiday gift idea (just sayin).......and it's not that expensive to make (what with the economy the way it is these days)!
xo Joanna D.

4 comments:

  1. You mispelled 'hydrate' and 'nutritious'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! I'm about to do some man-cave decorating myself...love the artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps I ran out of a "y" and "t".......lol. Just kidding.....I totally mispelled them......off to find my white paint to fix it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops! I also noticed that you spelled Nutritious and Hydrate wrong. Hope you can get it fixed without too much trouble..
    I also noticed that it says "Scratch Where Itches" instead of "Scratch Where IT itches"...and also I think it's supposed to say "my cave my rules" but you just have "my cave"...but it works!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...