Sunday, December 16, 2012

Countdown to Christmas: Hot Cocoa Station

So the countdown to Christmas continues. You better believe (in Santa) that it is only nine short days away.  NINE!! I am officially PANICKING!! HYPERVENTILATING!! ABOUT TO FAINT....a-n-y second!! Where did the time go?!?!  Feels just like yesterday that I was decorating for Fall
But don't YOU panick, I still plan on showing you how I decorated for the holidays.  This years theme: Classic Country Charm!!  Lots of natural elements (think: reindeer, pinecones, & twine) mixed with classic Christmas colors such as silver and red.
 
 A few days ago I worked on my little kitchen shelf display.  It is pretty much one of the first things I do when I decorate for any holiday.  I think it's because the shelves are small enough where they aren't too overwhelming but yet still captures my theme for the season! The shelves are from IKEA and well weren't every penny (in my opinion!).
 
 I read somewhere (I think in one of my many magazines) that December 12th is designated National Hot Cocoa day this year, so I decided to make a little hot cocoa station.  How fun?!?!  Buddy the elf would be SO proud:

I picked up the festive Santa mugs at Wal-Mart for $1.99/each this year.   They are stacked and displayed on a cake stand along with a tree shaped glass container (also from Wal-Mart) that contains yummy Ghirardelli cocoa powder.  Some fancy cocoa for the average Jo :-)
 
 Whats hot cocoa without some mini marshmallows......
 
 
..........and yummy peppermint sticks?!?!
 
 The festive bottles (from IKEA last year) could be filled with milk. 
Maybe now I'll have to invite a few friends over for some freshly baked chocolate chip cookies and a yummy cup of hot cocoa.  Whose coming over?!?!
 
 The top shelf was really simple to decorate.
 
 
I gave the bland and boring candles a little makeover.  Super easy I swear.  Just added some birchwood looking wrapping paper and then wrapped the candle with leftover twine.  See I told ya it was easy!  I found the wrapping paper at Marshalls for a steal this year.  Totally fits in with my country/rustic theme, dontchya think?!?!  Then just a few left over ornaments, pinecones, and some pine branches sprinkled around the candle holder gave the shelf some added color and extra detail.  No fussing necessary!
 
 
I found this little guy at the thrift store and I think it adds the most perfect rustic touch!
Attention to detail is my mantra!
 So that is it.   
This is what I did to add some "Classic Country Christmas Cheer" to my otherwise bland and boring IKEA shelves:
 
 And just for the record...........we DO use the hot cocoa station!!
It's not only for display.........because how silly would that be!
 
 A peppermint hot chocolate for the MR. and a salted caramel for the MRS! 
Oh and a chocolate truffle to split! 
A perfect way to spend a relaxing Sunday night if I do say so myself. 
 
Hope you all had a wonderful weekend!!  I have more posts to come such as our outdoor lights, kitchen table, and decorated entryway and tree just to name a few!  See you lovelies soon!
 
xoxo JoAnna

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...