Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Countdown to Christmas: 3D Holiday Frames

I am so excited for Christmas this year I can hardly wait (yet it's right around the corner and will be here before we know it!).  I am in full blown holiday decorating mode and am definitely feeling just a tad bit inspired to create new and pretty things for my home this year!  Last time I shared with all of you lovelies a trip Scott and I made to the local tree farm to pick out "the one", a.k.a. our Christmas tree.  Ah!! There is nothing like the smell of a real Christmas tree I tell ya......brings back so many great childhood memories. NOTHING! :-)  Well our tree is up and decorated and I cannot wait to show you what it looks like, but in the mean time let me share with you a little frame update.

 LET THE COUNTDOWN TO CHRISTMAS BEGIN:
 
When I decorate for a holiday I normally start with the kitchen.  I think I've mentioned this before. It's partly due to the fact that we do most of our entertaining in the kitchen and partly because I have more surface area to work with in there.  The wall behind the kitchen table has an awkward off center built-in cabinet.  I have a love-hate relationship with it.  Maybe when I paint the trim white I'll like it more, but for now it sticks out like a sore thumb.  To the right of the cabinet I added a couple IKEA shelves to display my tschochkies and knickknacks.  I love the shelves but than I was left with the smaller space to the left of the cabinet, which was left blank for a long long time.  I finally decided to add four white frames that I had laying around the house and called it a day:
 

   I know it doesn't look balanced and perhaps they are too small for the space, but hey for now they work and well to me it looks a heckofalot better than empty, wasted space.   
 
 
 
Now for my Christmas decor I decided instead of putting something in the frame, I would give them a 3D effect and make this rustic ornament arrangement:
 
The theme this year is Rustic/Country Christmas.  I wanted to incorporate classic colors like red and silver with natural elements such as twine and pine cones.  It was super easy to make and best of all it was all FREE to me!! Yup I had everything on hand, all I had to spare was a half hour of my time! 
 
This is what I used to "Christmasfy" my frames (made up word alert!):
 
 
You can do this so many different ways and make this work for any theme that you have going on.  Use what you already have on hand, it's the best way to be creative.....I promise.
 
All you have to do is tie individual pieces of twine to your ornaments, pine cone, and branch. 
 
For the pine cone I just added a dab of hot glue to the center, coiled a piece of twine around a few times and then pressed down to secure in place.  Just like so:
 
 
Then I just brought everything together and tied em' in place with another piece of twine just like so:
 

Now I just used my hot glue gun and dabbed a bit of glue to the back of the knot and applied the arrangement directly onto the glass frame (Don't worry, the glue just pops right off when you want to take it down).
Easy Peasy No?!?!
 
So what do you think?!?!  A for effort?!?! I don't know I kinda like it (maybe because it was all free)!  I just love working with nature......it gives the space a cozy feeling.  Now what are you all doing to spruce (punny?!) up your home for the holidays?!?! 
 
xoxo Joanna D. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...